2019 Ca'n Verdura Negre Binissalem-Mallorca

Article number: Ca'n Verdura Negre
Availability: In stock (2)

Tomeu and Ca’n Verdura’s ancestral origins can be traced back at least six generations, where they were cultivating Binissalem vineyards between “possessions” (large agricultural farms), in traditional vineyards of mixed agriculture where grapes share space with other traditional crops such as apricot, almond, and olive trees. This is the type of polyculture that is traditional to Mallorca, and a type of agriculture favored by Tomeu. Following this tradition, Ca’n Verdura focuses on old-vine vineyards planted in the traditional en vaso (or goblet) vine training system, with reliance on the indigenous mantonegro and callet for red wines and moll (prensal blanc) for the white wines of Binissalem. Like other small projects on the island, international varieties are relied upon in small quantities for practical reasons in entry-level blends. Still, the future of plantings is clearly indigenous varieties. The soil of Binissalem is cal vermell, red clay soil with limestone, and small to medium-sized galets. Tomeu obtained his oenology degree in Tarragona and later gained valuable practical experience under Álvaro Palacios in Priorat, as well as when he returned to the island working with bigger house names like 4 Kilos, Anima Negra, and Son Campaner, while he explored his ideas at night which would someday become Ca’n Verdura. VARIETAL: Mantonegro (70%), with the remaining 30% filled out by Callet, Monastrell, Merlot, and Syrah VINEYARD: Binissalem is located in the central, higher part of the island, and is traditionally focused on the Mantonegro grape. Vineyards were planted beginning in 1958 on red clay, limestone, gravel, and white clay. VINIFICATION: After manual harvest in small boxes, the wine is fermented in stainless steel tanks at 24°C, with a maceration of 20 days. Half of it is then aged for six months in 225L and 500L French oak barrels, while the other half is aged in stainless steel for the same period. This wine is made with low intervention and minimal sulfur at bottling. Production is necessarily very limited, as every bottle in this garage winery is sold each vintage.​ TASTING NOTES: 2019 was an exceptional vintage for Mallorcan wine, producing well-balanced wines with lots of character. The absence of rain was a key factor resulting in remarkably healthy grapes. Summer was warmer than 2018, similar to 2017, but without the heatwaves. Some rain in July and moderate summer temperatures paved the way for a healthy harvest with yields 20% below normal. Wines from this vintage are of exceptional quality and personality. The eponymous Ca’n Verdura Negre is a friendly, crushable entry into the range of wines from the Binissalem region of Mallorca. It is meant as a warm welcome to the unpretentious island style of Mallorcan food and wine. This fragrant, Mediterranean red is medium bodied, with notes of wild red berries, citrus, fresh herbs, and exotic spices. It is fresh and energetic, with excellent texture.

0 stars based on 0 reviews